Browsing: Cleaning Your Fireplace

Potato Peels and Acorns for Creosote Build-up

One solution that I have found to remove creosote build-up is to throw all of your potato peels and available acorns directly into the fire. The potato peels can be collected and added whenever you have them. Acorns are abundant in autumn. Since I don't appreciate them all over my lawn, I rake them up into an old metal trash can. I add a handful or two a week. It beats spending $16 every month on the expensive store bought creosote buildup removers every month.

Please, don't forget that no matter what, a professional should clean your chimney either in the spring or before you start your first fire in the fall. :}

Source: A senior citizen friend that grew up on a farm in the 1930's.

By Pattie M. from Bridgton

Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Lemon Peel
Uses for Citrus Peels
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
pan of acorns on oven rack
Preparing Acorns for Crafts
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 2:15:55 PM on 10.0.2.223 in 634 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.