Tape Residue on Scissors

How do you clean the residue of double stick tape from scissors?

By Caseye

I'd try using rubbing alcohol. It's pretty good at removing "goo." :)

I would suggest fingernail polish remover.

You can buy small can of adhesive remover or cleaner at any hardware or automotive store.

I always keep a can of "Goof Off" in my tool /supply cabinet. It comes in handy for removing adhesive residue and other types of residues. Applying with a paper towel will get the residue off pretty easily. Smaller cans of "Goof Off" only cost about $3-$4.

You can also use vegetable oil (or cooking spray) and rub with a paper towel. Then wash with soap and water and dry well. It will definitely work, and is gentle on finishes.

Nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol will work. Saturate a cotton ball and rub it on the blade.

I've been using Clorox wipes (generic with lemon work better though), or my magic Eraser. I even use the Lemon wipes to remove film from the Starbucks Frappucino labels when I peel them off to make vases.

The best thing for cleaning things like that is good ole WD40 it will not harm the surface and is not toxic in any way. I keep a can in the kitchen and the garage.

Thank you ALL for great suggestions; I'm going to see what I have on hand and try it tonight! Thriftyfun readers are GREAT sources of information and so willing to help - I really appreciate it. Blessings. Casey

Lighter fluid....it's cheap and it doesn't leave a oily or greasy residue. It doesn't mar the finish like nail polish remover and evaporates quickly. We are a non-smoking household but I have a can of lighter fluid in the bathroom, kitchen, laundryroom and garage. It lifts off those dang labels that are soooo glued on, takes the goo off everything, scuff marks off the floor, tar off your clothes, just a million uses for it. I couldn't live without it.

Crazy as it sounds, I cut double sided tape all the time. I take a piece of the same tape. and "dab/pull" it off. Like removing lint from a sweater. You do have to press "dab" more firmly. The residue will bond with the tape more then stay on your scissor blades. It's a great time saver in between cutting when you don't want to use chemicals, when after a few cuts, your shears will be gunked up again. I thoroughly clean my scissors in between projects. I found WD-40 in a pen style. like a "Tide" pen. It has no smell and you don't get the drips from spraying from big can.

Thanks so much - I'll try it! Casey

Lubricated scissors with petroleum jelly, wiped off, then used a pencil eraser. Worked great!

Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalApril 4, 2009
tape rolls
Removing Tape Residue From Walls
Dry Erase Board
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Dry Erase Board
Dry Erase Board
Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
🎉
🎄