Deodorizing Outdoor Cat Waste

Cats are using my front garden as a litter box with the result that, if I open my two windows in the family room, my house smells like a litter box. I have shoveled out the area and sprayed a cat repellent, but the smell is really persistent. Any ideas how to neutralize the smell of cat waste on dirt? Thanks.

Kathrine from Gaithersburg

I don't know how to get the smell away but I do know what stopped the cats from the neighborhood pooping in a neighbors yard and my kitties from scratching up our flower beds. Chicken wire or fencing, I bought some wire garden edging and laid it flat with a fine layer of dirt, they can't scratch it up, no pooping.

Maybe a nice thick layer of baking soda, then some wire (to keep them out for good) then a fine layer of dirt to cover up the soda?

The waste products need to be digested by soil bacteria, and they will actually feed your plants. So I would suggest you add lots (4-6" deep would not be too much) of active compost which is full of friendly bacteria, and maybe an inch of grass clippings under it for the chlorophyll, like a breath mint for your garden. You won't smell anything but clean dirt!

We don't want to stop our cat using the garden - we just want to eliminate the odour if possible. He has to use our garden as he can't get out anywhere else. Would what you are suggesting just get rid of the smell? Thanks.

Do not use a baking soda the salt in it will KILL your plants,Orange peelings will keep the cats out of the area.

X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER

CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY

www.calvetsupply.com

1800-366-3047

I have cats 2, I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works, it is a bit pricey but it will last a long time, the directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water but I put 1 oz per cup of water and This works just fine. A neighbor had a problem with cats using her yard. her husband spray with the X.O. no more smell the cats don't come around anymore and her grass is greener.

THE BEST and SAFEST odor neutralizing product I've ever found !

I don't know about clearing up the present smell. But to eliminate the potty stop just put out the rinds of citrus , i.e. oranges/lemons. I just throw out the peelings as taken from the fruit. If you don't like the looks of the pieces of peel then just run them thru the blender with enough water to grind them up as much as desired and sprinkle it over the area. This needs to be repeated periodically until the cats get the message and find another place to go potty.

sprinkle baking soda all over ground, spray diluted vinegar on top. cats won't pee (in the house too) where there is vinegar smell

Editor's Note: This might also kill any plants so make sure you don't sprinkle and spray it near them.

Pets Pet OdorsJune 25, 2007
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat sitting outside in the woods.
Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
A cat sitting behind a fence.
Building Outdoor Cat Enclosures
🎄