Dog Odors Under Our Deck

We are considering purchasing a home that has kept a dog caged under the deck. The smell is horrible! Any suggestions on treating this area and eliminating the smell?

Thanks!
D from Matthews, NC

This is a little thought provoking. I think I would try a citrus essential oil and water mix to start with. If that doesn't work then I might try raking the area out soak down with dawn dish soap and water. You might find something at a pet store. Other wise, I just don't know. Good luck. Post your solution once you get it figured out so we will all know the best way.

Thanks!

try getting a box of borax and sprinkle whole thing as

evenly as possible. Could add baking soda as well;

cover with cedar shavings and leave alone for two

months or so. Also could get gallon of pet enzyme

odor remover from janitorial supply house and spray

all over ground before any of above steps and leave

it to work for about 2 weeks. this will take time, but

you should be able to get odor out eventually.

Assuming the odor is from the poop and pee, and it's bare ground under there, I would try a compost starter powder which would neutralize the wastes by composting the nutrient in them. How about adding that powder and then a layer of cedar shavings or fresh dirt? If you can't get under there or hire a kid to do it, you can put the compost starter on the deck and sweep it in between the planks. Not that I've done this before, I haven't!

If you can get under the deck, physically remove as much of the waste as you possibly can, this might include some of the dirt; then cover the area with agricultural lime(ask for it at garden centers.) The smell should be gone within hours and the lime will biodegrade with time.

We use pelletized or powdered lime to get rid of doggie doo odors and it works wonderfully. The pellets are easy to throw in areas and they dissolve with a little bit of water. They also improve the soil and a 40 lb bag is inexpensive and goes a very long way.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 4, 2007
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Sealing a Painted Deck
Sealing a Painted Deck
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Man Pressure washing his Wood Deck
Cleaning a Wood Deck
🎄