Planting a Desert Vegetable Garden

I always had a vegetable garden in Southern California. Having recently moved to Arizona, my grown son wants me to put a garden in at his home. All I know about Arizona is that it gets hot. I'm willing to try, though.

I want to start small, just a salsa garden. Tomatoes, peppers, garlic, cilantro, zucchini, and cucumbers. I'm mostly worried about the heat. Can anyone help?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Christine from Surprise, AZ

I have a friend, she lives in Tucson, AZ and always has a garden. The cooler months in AZ are the best time to plant your vegetables starting from November or December to March. There might be others in the thriftyfun community who live in AZ and might be able to give you a better answer.

Ask your county agent to send you info on gardening, good luck.

Christine, we are almost neighbors, I live in W. Phx. If you can, watch Channel 3 morning news, sometimes the Garden Guy is on and he gardens organically. He also has 2 paperback books and a web site. Just do a search for Garden Guy Phoenix. He made a marvelous organic garden on a paved parking area at the TV station.

I have snow peas blooming and lots of lettuce for picking. This time of year is great for lettuce, cabbage, peas, broccoli and most leafy stuff. Green peppers can go several years here with care, and I still have eggplant in the garden from last summer.nbIf you like, email me for my yahoo group on desert gardening.

Pat galphoenix AT

Most of those vegetables are native to southern Mexico & central America, so they should thrive in the AZ heat! Don't make the mistake my mother did, moving to FL from up north: she planted the garden against the south wall, and everything got fried. To keep down the watering, use anything that is local (cottonseed husks?--honestly, what yard waste is local in AZ?) for mulch. Don't use rocks, though.

Rows of growing vegetables
Planning A Vegetable Garden
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesFebruary 15, 2010
Desert Landscaping
Desert Landscaping Ideas
Vegetable Garden
Vegetable Garden Planting Times
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
cactus garden
Desert Gardening Advice