Ideas for a Waterproof Clothespin Holder

I need something to hold my wooden clothespins and keep them dry outside. I need to be able to easily open and close it and easily get my hand inside to grab a few clothespins. Any creative ideas, e.g. recycling another item? Thanks.

By DG

In the past you could buy them but a large spider hiding in mine made me throw it away. But here is a suggestion. Make an ordinary apron. Turn the hem up on the outside about 8 inches. Stitch pockets every 6 inches or so and put your clothes pins in the pockets. Wear it while you hang clothes or bring them in but do not leave it outside.

I used a large gallon zip lock bag for my pins. I attach one side to the line with some of the pins this leaves the other side open to get your hand in it. Zip it shut when done.

It works well but the bag needs replacing every so often.

Take an empty milk jug, clean it thoroughly, then cut an opening opposite the jug handle large enough to put your hand through. Use an awl or metal kitchen skewer to put holes in the bottom of the jug for drainage. Put a slit at the bottom of the handle where it meets the jug for hanging on your clothesline. This is the longest lasting and cleanest device I've ever found to hold clothes pins. Bring inside to keep your clothes pins dry.

Lilac beat me to it, lol! I love using an apron for the clothes pins, and have made one using pretty much the same directions she gives in her post:)

I got a carpenter apron as a freebie once about thirty years ago and it occurred to me that this would make a very handy clothes pin holder. When it wore out I bought another one because the aprons were $1.99 at Lowes and cheaper than I could make one myself.

Now that I live in the UK I've made one from an old canvas bag my new husband was about to bin because those aprons cost just a bit more than I'm willing to pay here in northern Scotland!

The apron is the best, most handy help when hanging out the washing. No need to remember to carry it in after you hang out the clothes, no need to push the bag along as you hang out the clothes, and no wicked surprises like spiders taking up residence in those cosy cloth/plastic bags!

I hang mine by the washing machine or set it in the basket between loads.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm about designate an apron as my clothespin holder. Would like to try the milk jug idea too, but I haven't seen 4L milk jugs lately but will keep an eye out for them. I like the ziploc idea too, but the ones that I buy have too short a lifespan before the zipper stops working.

Making a Clothespin Bag
Making a Clothespin Bag
Better Living Green Living AdviceAugust 1, 2011
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
CD Candle Holder
Making a CD Candle Holder
clothespin cookie
Lady Lock or Clothespin Bar Cookie Recipes
🎄