Growing Sunflowers in Containers

This is my first year to plant sunflowers in containers. When cold weather sets in what should I do?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Elaine from Berwick, ME

Is your variety an annual or perennial? If it's an annual, just pull it up in the fall, and start fresh in the spring (or, you can leave the seed heads for the birds to eat over the winter). I've never had perennial sunflowers, but for our other perennial plants, I cut them back in the fall/early winter. If you're in a very cold area, you might want to pull the container inside, or put it in some other sheltered spot. Some people cover them with something like straw for additional protection from the cold. I've had perennials in the ground make it from year to year, but the same kind of plant in a container wouldn't make it through the winter outside. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't survive.

If you're not sure what kind you have, take a look at this article, it has some helpful information. Best of luck!

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flo ... -annual-or-a-perennial-sunflower.htm

If it's a perennial sunflower, plant it in the ground, it will survive better. Plants in pots do not always survive, they freeze easier and get colder in cold and wind. Good luck. :)

Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerAugust 10, 2010
Sunflower
Ants Eating Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Bouquet of sunflowers.
Making a Sunflower Wedding Bouquet
A woman transplanting a sunflower.
Transplanting Sunflowers
🎄