Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Bottle of olive oil.
Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsMay 11, 2010
Pile of stinky clothing.
Getting Cooking Oil Smell Out of Clothing
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway