Tell Retailers You Saw It Cheaper to Get a Discount

I was reading an article about the retail business I thought I could pass around. If you are in the market for some of the "big ticket stuff", try this when you go shopping. I read where these businesses are so hard up for a sale, you can get at least 10% off a purchase. Just tell them you saw this (whatever) cheaper at another store. Some of the retailers offer this discount but the consumer has to ask for it.

By Debra from Illinois

Great idea if you actually saw it cheaper somewhere else. Otherwise, I'd suggest just out and out asking for the discount or ask when "it" goes on sale. Many stores will give a discount when you ask.

Yes, that's a great idea if you really saw it cheaper. But I think it would do just as well to ask for the discount. Some of the owners of the smaller stores are fighting just to stay in business themselves, so its not really great to misrepresent things to them for our benefit.

My son works for a major home improvement store in the large appliances dept. They will match or better other stores prices if you bring in proof of your quote or a sales ad. But not just by saying that you saw it cheaper somewhere else.

Woman Holding Handful of Coupons with Thumbs Up
Tricks for Saving Money
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersJune 11, 2008
Scroll Saw Craft Ideas
Scroll Saw Craft Ideas
person using a handsaw
Using a Hand Saw
Woman Grocery Shopping
Who Makes Store Brands?
A man using a circular saw.
Using a Circular Saw