Freeze Single Portions in Yogurt Containers

I love turnip salad but have to limit the amount I eat as it contains vitamin K which I can't have a lot of due to taking blood thinner. So when freezing it, I freeze it in small amounts so it will not get wasted.

In the past, I have put it into zip lock bags and flattened them. This was good for stacking in the freezer plus it thawed easily but it was taking a lot of freezer bags. Recently, I started freezing the turnip salad in 6 ounce yogurt containers. After frozen, I dump the frozen turnip salad on a piece of Glad Cling Wrap, wrap it and put it into a gallon size zip lock bag. This bag holds several servings and when empty, I can reuse the zip lock bag.

I wash the yogurt containers and they are ready to be used again for freezing the next batch of turnip salad from the garden. For leftovers that are liquid, such as gravy, I use this same method for saving them for another meal.

By hate litter from NC

Anonymous

I absolutely love your bulk freezing idea but I would be remiss if I didn't give a word of caution about reusing the yogurt containers. Unless they are recycle #2, 4 or 5 it is not safe to reuse for food or beverage products. Perhaps you could use 16 ounce cottage cheese or sour cream containers (they are generally #5) and just fill them 1/3 full instead? Thanks so much for sharing your idea and I am going to use it for assorted items from now on. :-)

Thanks Deeli. That's good information to know. I just checked and these yogurt cups are # 5 so they should be safe to use. In this case, I'm just using them for a mold. For turnip greens, the 6 ounce cup holds enough for my husband and I to have for a meal. I can get 9 bundles in a gallon zip lock freezer bag. It's such a pleasure to be able to take homemade, ready to eat food out of the freezer, heat it up in the microwave and then sit down and eat. We have very little food waste at our house.

Anonymous

I am so glad to know you're yogurt containers are #5 and that you let me know! :-) Mine are #6 which definitely would not be safe to reuse as molds so I guess that's what concerned me for you.