Strawberries in an Earthbox

How do I transplant strawberries from my earthbox? Do i need to buy another box? A man once told me not to use the first year runners, if so should I just snip them off?

Vonda

Answers

I have had sucess growing strawberries by covering the part of the runner closest to the new plant shallowly with soil and anchoring it there either with a bent piece of wire or a small brick or rock. After the new plant has taken root, you can then cut the runner from the mother plant. If the mother plant is in a container I would place a pot next to it for the new runner to grow in. I have been told to only use first and second year runners because strawberries are usually infected with viruses by the third year, but any runners will take strength from the mother plant and reduce yields. :)

Growing Strawberries
Growing Strawberries
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJune 27, 2008
Growing Strawberries
Growing Strawberries in a Greenhouse
Coring or Hulling Strawberries
Tips for Coring or Hulling Strawberries
filled strawberry
Making Stuffed Strawberries
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries
🎉
🎄