Removing Etching from Glass Shower Doors

I have shower doors with etching on them. I want to take the etching off. It is worn and looks dirty. How can I remove the etching?

By Lynette from Philadelphia, PA

I don't believe the etching can be removed. It is part of the glass. Acid etches the glass (removes the shiny surface and makes it rough) and it's permanent.

Glass can be etched either by chemical means or sandblasting. This roughens the polished surface of the glass. There are 2 options for getting rid of it: 1) have the surface of the glass, on the etched side, repolished (which would be completely cost prohibitive) or 2) replace the doors.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say the "etching looks worn..." There would have had to have been something pretty abrasive used to wear at the etching - something more powerful than soap or just rubbing against it. (Or maybe it is just a decal that needs to be removed?). Perhaps it just needs a pretty powerful cleanser to bring it back to looking new. Check with a local window cleaning company to see what they would suggest you use.

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomApril 8, 2010
etched tall water
Glass Etching Craft Projects
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Nice bathroom with a glass shower door.
Adding Etching to a Glass Shower Door