Homemade Skeleton Costume
Approx craft time: 1 1/2 hours or less (minus washing time)
- one black shirt (long sleeved)
- black form fitting pants
- white material the height and width of your child
- spray starch
- black marker
- white thread
To make a skeleton costume for pennies, use a plain black shirt or sweatshirt and black pants. You might have one or both, or be able to find them very inexpensively at a thrift store.
- Take the pieces and lay them out on a piece of white fabric. An old sheet works well.
- Pin to secure and trace around the outside to give yourself a template. Unpin and remove clothing.
- Use a pencil to sketch bone shapes.
- When you are happy with your design, go over outline with black permanent marker.
- Cut the entire design out in a rough oval.
- If there are visible pencil marks, wash gently. Starch heavily with spray starch and iron.
- If you want to add glow-in-the-dark paint, you can do it at this point, and dry thoroughly.
- Cut on black lines.
- Pin to clothing, baste (if you like) and sew.
- If you want to get really "fancy", you can even do finer work on black gloves.
October 23, 20070 found this helpful
Love this. I did this for my son who is now 20, when he was four. I used white felt squares to make the bones, it was an awesome costume, I actually have saved it. I also used those 99c black fingered gloves & made bone fingers, so cute. Easy, cheap & a great costume ta'boot.
Trish in CT
October 24, 20070 found this helpful
to save on time and sewing you can use WonderUnder, HeatNBond or any 2 way iron on adhesive
(I don't know if spray adhesive will work). after you iron the peices onto your shirt and pants, use the glow in the dark squeeze paint to outline and seal the edges. For those of us that are not so artsy you can go to this website for a free download from sewnews.com: http://www.sewnews.com/resources/library/1006bones/
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 8, 2016 at 10:17:59 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us