Wedding Reception Venue Advice

Is a wedding reception at the church dining hall tacky?

By Vida from Des Moines

I've been to wedding receptions at the church, and I never thought to pass judgment on the location. I believe true friends will be happy for your union and enjoy celebrating with you no matter where you choose.

Best of luck. I hope your wedding and reception are beautiful, and you have a long, happy marriage!

There isn't anything wrong with having the reception any place you want it. People shouldn't be judgmental. Actually if you get married at the church it would be much more convenient to have the reception there. It used to be that was the only place that people had their receptions.

If it helps you feel better, my wedding reception was in a school cafeteria. No one cared. :)

No, it's not tacky at all. I had my wedding in the sanctuary, immediately followed by the reception in the dining hall, and then took pictures afterward. I purposely planned it that way because I was tired of all the wasted time and "hurry up and wait" at many weddings. So many weddings are messed up by the endless picture-taking between the ceremony and reception. Of course, taking pictures before the ceremony is another option, but I didn't want early-arriving guests to see me in my gown! Best wishes!

We were married at the Junior Achievement Center (Dad was on the Board of Directors) and walked across the covered driveway to the big meeting room. Everyone said how wonderful it was not to worry about rain, parking, driving, re-parking, etc. Everyone got right down to partying and a good time was had by all.

I think it's nice because people will appreciate not having to drive to another place.

Years ago, that used to be the "norm". I don't know how things ever really got away from that or maybe that's just the way things were done down here in the south, but we always had the reception in the social hall at the church after the wedding. It's cheaper, way more convenient and easier on the ones involved!

Best wishes for a beautiful wedding and a happy life together!

It's a great idea and not tacky at all. What IS tacky is when cash only "gifts" are requested, or a new trend that I've read about, where the couple have a private dinner while their guests wait...now that's tacky!

Not at all. I did it 6 years ago. I think people probably would have asked why I didn't have it there if I hadn't. It's a great idea for many reasons. You save money, people don't have to leave and travel elsewhere, no worries for parking at an additional location, don't have to worry with the how the food is set up elsewhere, etc. Great idea! Use the extra money to start a savings account for your new family. Good Luck and Congratulations!

Wedding Reception
Saving Money on a Wedding Reception
Weddings ReceptionDecember 22, 2009
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Wood crate with "Just Married" written on it.
Cheap Locations for a Wedding Reception
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding
🎄