VegetablesFreezing

Blanching Green Beans

What is the proper time to blanch green beans before freezing? One person said 1 minute and another said 3 minutes. Also, can I put them in a freezer bag or do I need actual freezing containers?

By Missiesue from Munger, MI

Blanch for at least 3 minutes if pre-cut into 1 inch pieces. Longer 3-5 minutes if whole. Plunge them into ice cold water for the same amount of time as you blanched them to bring the temperature down. Drain/dry the beans well before using. Use about 1 gallon of water per 1 lb. of green beans. You can use freezer bags as long as you get as much air as you can out of them. I don't recommend hard containers as the air can cause freezer burn.

Anonymous

I believe I might have been the one who told you 3 minutes. Also, it doesn't matter whether they are cut or not the time is three minutes. I've blanched veggies for decades now. If you don't believe the 3 minutes just Google "blanching green beans" or "how to blanch green beans" and check out all the site links on the first pages. Nearly every one of them will say 3 minutes.

Also, yes you can put them in freezer bags. Actually I prefer using those because you can push nearly all the air out of them which helps reduce freezer burn. You also want to make sure they are dried off well before placing them in the bags because that also reduces freezer burn.