Rotten Fish Odor in Freezer

I can't get the rotten fish odor out of my freezer. I tried charcoal, lemon, vinegar, and baking soda, but nothing seem to work. What can I use?

By Mike

My freezer had been unplugged and everything had rotted in it. We had fish, wild game and every kind of meat in it that had rotted. I washed it out with pinesol and javex then put a plate of baking soda in it for a day or two. I did this for about a week. Kept changing the baking soda. I then did the same thing with dried used coffee grinds. I did this for another 2 weeks. The freezer is now odorless and reusable. If the baking soda didn't work the coffee grinds did. The smell is all gone. Hope this helps.

When this happened to me and none of the suggested methods worked (coffee grounds, baking soda, etc.) I got a 5# bag of the clay kitty litter, used an ice pick and jabbed it all over to make tiny holes and closed it up in the freezer for about a week and it took care of the odor. In order to not take any chance that it might return I got another bag of kitty litter and kept it in my freeaer for a year. That Freezer lasted me for more than 30 years after that and I never had another odor in it.

Hope this helps!

I had the same problem in my refrigerator when some fish juice spilled in it. I read on Thriftyfun to use crumpled up newspaper in the fridge/freezer so I tried it. I left the paper in it for two days, changing the paper each day and it worked like a charm.

I put crumpled newspaper on every shelf.

Hope this will work for you. I also tried baking soda, ammonia, bleach solution, 409, etc., but nothing worked until I used the newspaper. In fact, all I had as far as newspaper went was the colored sections of advertisements and it worked anyway; I didn't have the regular black and white newspaper itself.

Lots of luck!

On a previous post on this site, the writer said to spray vanilla inside the freezer, shut the door and leave for a few hours. Also said it works on ice chests and once used clear vanilla on carpet in the car and it worked.

Rotten Fish Smell in Freezer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJune 24, 2011
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor