Potatoes Stored in Garage Froze

I have yellow potatoes laying out in my garage and we have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and they are all frozen. I need to know if I can just keep them frozen and put them in bags and into the freezer. I really don't want to waste them. The cold weather kind of just came on faster then I was expecting.

By Stacey from South-West VA

I had a sack of potatoes that was left in the car, when they were brought in they started to get soft and because I didn't want to throw them away I put on a kettle of water and cooked them. Because they turned out good I don't see any problem to put yours in the freezer for a short time. I would not let them thaw out before boiling though. I could not tell the difference after they were boiled in their skins. I was so very glad. I hope this helps

Yes, you can just put them in your freezer and take out what you need as needed. It's not really any different than buying already frozen potatoes at the grocery store. Or, you could cook them, mash them for mashed potatoes, and then freeze them in serving sizes and use as needed.

Potatoes frozen one time can be used. After frozen more than once and rethawed they turn mushy grey and taste terrible. Best to cut them up while still semi frozen, blanch if not going to use them right away, dry them quick and freeze loosely on cookie trays as french fries, homefries, etc. Place pieces in bags and freeze right away. Mash and freeze immediately. Don't add anything else to potatoes.

Same thing happened to me. I used them for mashed potatoes. Peeled them cut them and boiled them mashed them. Put the rest of them back out side and tomorrow make potato bacon soup with cheese. Don't let them thaw or they will be bad.

you should put them in the plastic bag and put them in the freezer and to put them in a scure place

Frozen Raw Potatoes
Using Accidentally Frozen Raw Potatoes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 9, 2010
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale