Saving on Gas in Australia

I am looking for ideas for saving on gas in Australia. Anything would be great. I saw the poll results and wished that the results were the same here in Australia. Think of us here. I had to convert it to metric and was shocked by the results. For every 1 gallon of gas, here it is about 3.78 litres. We are paying anything up to $1.40 a litre for gas and more in the rural areas. I worked it out (and I hope my calculations are correct) to mean that if we were using the old measurements, it would cost us $5.29 a gallon for gas.

I have a V6 engine car and we are thinking very seriously of trading it in for a smaller engine car but it seems that everyone else has the same idea and there are a lot of ads for my car in the local paper and trading post.

So, apart from walking more (which I'm already doing), I appreciate any tips or gadgets that may get more mileage from our car.

Anyone in Australia have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bev from Rockingham, Western Australia

You think thats bad, trying being a Kiwi here in New Zealand, we are now up to $1-79 a litre, and of course now the petrol companies will NEVER allow it to go back down. Our government needs to step in and regulate the price urgently. Families are struggling enough without this added expense.

One thing I have started doing is not filling up my tank - only half filling it at one time. If you have a 50-70 litre tank, that is like having a whole person in the car with you - and having 'passengers' does burn extra fuel. If your tank is full, then you will basically burn more petrol just to carry the petrol. Less petrol = less weight and therefore, a measure of fuel economy... It is not much but at the moment, every litre counts!

You could line up your errands in a row so that all of the driving is done without having to criss cross the city.

If the engine has to idle, it uses up a lot of gas. When waiting in a car line to pick up kids at school or camp, it's best to get there first or last to minimize petrol usage.

I tried idling in neutral instead of park or drive. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Bev

We are constantly trying to find gas saving tips here in the States also so we understand your problem.I use a gas additive [like Lucas ] in every new tank of gas I buy.it gives me a few more gallons per mile and it helps my car to run smoother and cleaner.any Brand will help you so try it.every dollar counts..

If you have a diesel, or plan on switching over....used cooking oil (filtered of course) WORKS! The show Mythbusters on Discovery channel proved it without converting the oil or the car, (with a 10% difference in miles or km saved) and there is a Thai Food Delivery driver in Portland that converts/mixes it for cold weather. It was featured on the FOX 12 Oregon Morning edition, and after countless searches I can't find it!

Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasJune 19, 2006
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎄