Crushing Pills for Dogs

Can I crush a pill in a little water and give it to my dog in a dropper? By crushing it in a little water, would it take the some of the effects of the pill?

Gladys from New York

Some medicines are altered by crushing or opening capsules.

Did you try peanut butter? I have friends who swear that dogs cannot resist peanut butter. I'm a cat person.. so I don't know.

good luck

Gladys, it's probably not a good idea to crush the pill, as 2oma said.

When we have to give a pill to our dog, we usually take a piece of hot dog and push the pill right into it. He gulps it right down.

Or sometimes I take a slice of thin lunch meat and wrap it closely around the pill, then carefully hand it to him.

Peanut butter would probably work too. Most dogs LOVE peanut butter.

Some people place the pill in the dog's mouth and then rub his throat to get him to swallow it. I never had any luck with that myself, but it's worth a try.

zballoongirl

I thought I finally found a way for my little teacup terrier to take his pill, after trying everything that people suggested sausage, meat etc etc... I decided to try the peanut butter, I was so impressed when I saw him licking away for minuts at a time, I said from now on this is the way. The first day I thought it went well with that and the second day again, he was happy licking away, It so happend that after a while, I was walking in my socks and I felt something under my foot and guess what there was the pill, in other words he licked all the peanut butter and then got rid of the pill, be careful out there that you dog is not doing the same. Its really unbelievable how smart they are. So the only way I can get him to take it is crushing it and adding a little water and giving it to him in the dropper. Thank you for all your suggestions, I think there is no way to trick this little guy.

I tried the peanut butter on my Norwich Terrier and found that she sure did like the peanut butter, but would still manage to spit out the pill. I now take a small piece of cellophane wrapped cheese slice and I mush the cheese around the pill into a little ball. I tear another small piece of cheese off, then quickly give her the one with the pill in it, followed by the extra piece of cheese. She quickly swallows the first one because she knows the second one is coming! This may not work for you with your dog, but since mine is a little glutton it is the solution for me.

Try a little moist cat food, a bit on a spoon and put pill in the kitty food, we also use cottage cheese here, when we have to give a pill, we just ask the doggies if they want some cottage cheese, and they start drooling LOL Have a container marked dogs in fridge for the dogs med,both are on meds for arthritis , hip displaysia ,and allergies. Hope this works for you. rose

Hiding it in a little glob of liver sausage always worked with my little dogs. They loved it.

Back to the peanut butter. I have always taken a bite size piece of bread, put a little bit of PB on it. Put the pill in the middle, and fold. Both my small dog and large dog have never gotten the pill out. Nor tried. They are too busy with the bread and PB! Hope you find something that works.

My dog that I had to put to sleep last year (at 16 years, 11 months) had to take 6 pills a day for her "old dog maladies". At first, cheese worked, peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, and on & on but she quickly figured out there was a pill in all of them & would either lick around the pill or not even bother cuz she knew I was trying to trick her. I finally had to get a pet piller. It was the only way I could give her her meds & make sure she actually took them. It's not the most pleasant way but she had to have the meds. I'd give her a treat afterward. Here's a link: http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates ... mp;CFID=2299434&CFTOKEN=82594122

i stick my dog's pills in a hotdog piece.

I Grew up on a large Kennel of Smaller breeds of Dogs, We never crushed or bated dogs with food to eat the pills, The sure way and easiest was to stick it down their throat, Push it down as far as you can push it with your finger, Clamp the mouth shut with your hand and rub the dogs throat till they swallow, ( make sure you don't hold to tightly and cut their breathing off.) Release your hold, watch for a sec to make sure it went down, If you know what your doing its quick, simple and so easy, and the dog doesn't mind either. I have used this method thousands of times and it never fails.

Pets HealthJanuary 26, 2007
Blender
Crushing Ice With a Blender
Clear container with blackberries inside.
Storing Blackberries
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
Storing Artificial Flowers
Storing Artificial Flowers
🎉
🎄