Making a Woodland Scene Water Feature

I would love ideas on how to make a water feature. I already have a fountain, but would like something different, almost a woodland scene. And how do I screen it to keep critters from falling in? A baby skunk fell in last summer and drowned. And I am also looking for ideas to make a corner rock garden. Any thoughts are welcome.

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By kitten97883 from Union, OR

Plant Ferns, Azalea, some siberian iris, hostas, oriental lilies, canna lilies, etc around it.

To critter protect it the only thing I know of is bird netting. Birds and frogs can become entangled in it though. If you want wildlife to be able to drink from it then you should have a little waterfall where they can drink and not tumble in.

Go to a koi pond specialist. They have a net that protects the fish, but it also protects the critters from drowning. Also, if you don't already have a pond, consider a pondless water feature. The water bubbles up from gravel or rocks, spills over the edge of fountain or down a waterfall and falls into a rock covered basin with no standing water to drown animals or children (hence the popularity on home remodel shows) and has the benefit of no standing water for mosquitoes.

Water Feature
Making a Water Feature
Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and RockeryJune 28, 2009
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
pale pink waterlily blossoms
Finding Plants for a Water Garden
Indoor Water Fountain
Making an Indoor Water Feature
hanging snowman decoration
Making a Winter Snowman Scene