Fixing a Shirt That Shrank

I have a turtleneck top that is made up of 80% rayon and 20% nylon. The label says to lay it flat after washing. I forgot to do it this time and it ended up shrinking it mainly in the back so it rides up a bit, enough to show my back and annoy me. Is there anyway I can get it back to it's original shape? What about washing it again then laying it flat to dry?

By Suzanne from MI

You could try ironing it, but when I had the same problem with an all rayon shirt, I washed it (no spin) and hung it to dry. While it was still wet, I pulled the bottom edge down and clipped some pants hangers to it (for weight). The shirt came out perfectly and as smooth as though it had been ironed. Good luck.

Since both rayon and nylon are plastic based products it's possible that the shrinking is 'melting' from the heat of the dryer and may not be repairable but why don't you just go ahead and hand wash it, lay it flat as the original care instructions recommended and see if you can stretch it back into the original shape?

Since you say the riding up annoys you, if the laying flat doesn't work you can always sew three or four inches of another fabric on the bottom of the turtleneck to tuck in to keep the top from riding up and out of your pants.

You might also be able to wash it again, lay it out on a board and stretch it into shape by pinning it to the board while it dries. That way it has no chance to shrink while drying. This is what we used to do with wool sweaters.

Rayon does not 'remember' and will not go back to the old size. I work in a shop that used to sell all rayon blouses. We had to wear them then, and they never returned to the original size. You might get a wee bit of xize back after many tries, but not enough to even count. So so sorry... I lost 5 great blouses.

Thanks Everyone! I will try what I can. I do like the idea of trying to wash it again and then stretching it out, we'll see what happens. I have a feeling tho that I am at a loss. :(

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingFebruary 4, 2011
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair