Worms Eating Leaves on My Crab Apple Tree - Categories:

Pest ControlGardening

Worms Eating Leaves on My Crab Apple Tree

Q:

I have worms eating the leaves on my crab apple tree. How can I stop them?

jt_luves_dn from Syracuse, NY

A:

jt_luves_dn,

Sounds like you have a classic case of some codling moth or winter moth caterpillars eating your crab apple leaves. There are several preventative tactics to employ in the control of these pests. For now you'll need to pick them off or spray them with a garden hose to dislodge them. Then try a few of these preventative measures to reduce the next generation (there can be up to 4 in one summer) of worms.

You can try wrapping the trunk of your tree with a band containing Vaseline (don't apply it directly to the bark). Do this to prevent the female caterpillars from making their way back up the truck. You can also buy similar sticky bands at garden centers, which will trap the caterpillars right on the band. When you see the caterpillars cocooning in your neighbor's trees, it's okay to remove the band. You can also leave it on longer in an effort to prevent any larvae from migrating up the tree. Check the band every day or two to make sure it remains sticky.

When your tree is flowering, pheromone traps (available at garden centers) can also help reduce worm populations.

Always remove any infested apples (hanging or dropped) as soon as you see them.

Encourage birds to the area by erecting a bird bath and feeding station near your tree.

There are chemical controls as well, but these need to be timed appropriately and are only partly effective.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my zuchini , bell pepper and tomato plants. I read different advise for getting rid of the snails.. Since my plants are in containers, I bought copper tape and stuck that around the container. It sort of gives the snails a 'shock' so they won't want to come there.

Also crumbling egg shells around the tree may work for you.

Hope this helps.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 5, 2006
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Crabapples
Growing Crabapples
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 4:17:21 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.