Removing Self Stick Tiles

How do I remove self stick tile flooring?

By Patricia9541 from NY

Best Answer

There's a tool that looks like a hoe only larger without the curve in the metal and is on a long wooden handle. Works perfectly for sliding under tile and breaks up easily. When the edge feels dull from overuse, just resharpen and the work goes smoothly.

Best Answer

Rent a wallpaper steamer from your local rental store. Set the steamer on the tile for about 10 seconds. Use a putty knife to get under a corner and then you can start pulling it up. You may have to reposition the steamer as you go to get the tile in one piece. But then the fun really begins trying to get the adhesive up.

Wow as a remodeling contractor I usually hear how do I get these to stay down.

If you can get one up or a corner of one then use a floor scraper which you can rent inexpensively (or borrow from a handy friend) sometimes you can use a flat head shovel and get under them and scrape them off.

I removed my old chard cracking tiles by heating them with a hair dryer then peeling them up. I had been chipping away at them little by little, taking tiny pieces off at a time. Then i tried the hair dryer and they came off in one piece. The adhesive however. I have not tried to remove yet. I would also like some tips on that!

Just did that very project. I had peel/stick tiles over sheet linoleum and wanted the p/s tiles gone so I could get new sheet vinyl. The tiles were impossible to lift from corner and pull up. The grunt work was excessive and most left the bottom glued while I pulled off the pretty pattern. A heat gun worked good; a small propane torch was so much better. We got it down that we could do a tile in less than a minute. I also heard that a wall paper steamer works good but haven't tried it yet and hope I never have to do that job again.

Warm soapy water will lift up modern Chinese made peel and sticks easily.

Just let warm soap water sit for a few minutes.

Take a plastic knife and bam!

In fact these kind of tiles are hard to keep down once they get any water on them.