Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Self Stick Tiles

How do I remove self stick tile flooring?

By Patricia9541 from NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Bethany03/26/2010

I removed my old chard cracking tiles by heating them with a hair dryer then peeling them up. I had been chipping away at them little by little, taking tiny pieces off at a time. Then i tried the hair dryer and they came off in one piece. The adhesive however. I have not tried to remove yet. I would also like some tips on that!

By Lisa K03/17/2010

Wow as a remodeling contractor I usually hear how do I get these to stay down.
If you can get one up or a corner of one then use a floor scraper which you can rent inexpensively (or borrow from a handy friend) sometimes you can use a flat head shovel and get under them and scrape them off.

By Myrna [13]03/02/2010

There's a tool that looks like a hoe only larger without the curve in the metal and is on a long wooden handle. Works perfectly for sliding under tile and breaks up easily. When the edge feels dull from overuse, just resharpen and the work goes smoothly.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Self Stick Tiles

I am having a heck of a time trying to remove self stick tiles on kitchen floor and ultimately removing the sticky stuff that they leave behind. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Linda from, New York City

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

We replaced our entire kitchen/dining room floor last spring and had to take up the old vinyl tiles first. As you are discovering, they are very difficult to pry up and extremely sticky. As far as I can tell, there is "no way" to remove the sticky stuff off the floor. What was recommended to us was to paint over the adhesive with primer (just regular wall paint) and then use a substance over that to level the entire floor.

After spending the better part of a weekend prying up tiles, we decided to simply replace the particleboard underflooring. It was much easier. You just have to make sure that you fill in any gaps and screw holes because anything that sticks up or dips will show through your new tile. Good luck. I've been so much happier with my new floor. (11/20/2007)

By jess

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

My husband dose this for a living and he uses a hair dryer, give it time. It will work. Good luck. (11/20/2007)

By la_hotsawce23

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

My mother used a clothes iron. She covered the tile with a damp towel and ironed away. Then she took a wide putty knife and pried up the tiles before they could cool down. (11/22/2007)

By Juanita S.

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

Be careful. If these are older tiles, they may contain asbestos! Anything produced before 1986 may contain asbestos. If released into your house, it will circulate around your home via central heat/air system posing a health hazard. (12/01/2007)

By Amanda M.