Loose Meat Sandwiches

These puppies originated in the Midwest and people either love them or they hate them. Be ready for messy eats and have a spoon ready to scoop the fallen beef ;-)

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • Yellow mustard to taste (I happen to love lots)
  • 4 hamburger buns, split, or 8 slices of thick bread
  • 8 dill pickle slices

Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook and stir until the beef is crumbly and evenly browned. Drain and discard any excess grease. Stir in the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered until the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 300 degrees F.

Spread the desired amount of yellow mustard on the top half of each bun or on four slices of bread. Place 2 pickle slices on the bottom halves or other four slices of bread and then spoon on equal amounts of the ground beef mixture. Top with the other half of the bun.

Wrap each sandwich individually with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven about 10 minutes. Place on plates and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

This sounds just like Sloppy Joes or BBQ beef but with a different name. It must have to do with the area of country one is from. thanks

Being from the midwest, I can tell you that this recipe is a copy cat recipe for a sandwich that we call here a "Maid-Rite" It really is nothing like Sloppy Joes or BBQ beef. You would have to taste one to see. There have been many guesses about what went in the hamburger when cooking. I have never tried them because I was not all that crazy about them but my dad just loved them!

As best I can tell, this is the original recipe.

Thanks for your comments, Laniegirl :-) I lived in the Midwest myself for 16 years and each Loose Meat recipe varies from state to state even within the Midwest ;-) They all still have the same basic instructions and ingredients that Maid-Rite has i.e. hamburger, onions and mustard ;-)

Here is a Maid Rite recipe that we recently posted from Robin. We certainly don't have anything like this in the Pacific Northwest :)

Nice! I also do "loose meat" with pork, beef roast, etc., pressure cooked for one hour (for 4-5 lbs meat). Good sandys or burritos.

February 8, 2010 Flag

We always wonder what to do with left over roast. Well, make a loose meat sandwich; not a roast sandwich but loose meat. You take the left over roast meat, throw some onions if you want, BBQ or steak sauce, hot sauce, whatever you would think; but I use BBQ and the kids love it. Put it all in a blender and poof, you have loose meat roast beef sandwiches..

Source: I made this myself cause i didn't want to throw the rest of the roast out. It's like Sloppy Joes but better

By Beverly from Aubrey, TX

Leftover Loose Meat Sandwiches

My ex- MIL used to grind up tough cooked meat, proceed as you do, and call them "Meat Paste Sandwiches". She was a talented and creative cook. (06/10/2008)

By cookwie

Food and Recipes Recipes Sandwiches AdviceFebruary 8, 2010
Organizing Loose Wires
Organizing Loose Wires
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Loose Change on White Background
Finding Loose Change