Espresso Grind for Ants

Very finely ground (espresso fine) caffeinated coffee, before brewing, works wonders on killing and eliminating ants. Apparently their systems cannot handle the caffeine and they die. We applied ground coffee to a few trouble spots in our organic produce and foods store, left it for a couple of days and haven't had problems with ants since.

We used organic coffee since that's what we had, but I doubt that it makes a difference. Buy cheap espresso beans, grind them very fine, sprinkle on and around the trouble spots, leave it alone for a couple of days and Voila! No more ants.

By Mama Sheri from Spokane, WA

Top Comment

Borax mixed with a little sugar works, too :-) They are initially attracted to the sugar but end up also taking the soap back to the nest. The soap is toxic to them.

I've heard dried grits work too.

Thank you so much. We keep the kitchen clean, but this time of year there will be ants. I grind my coffee anyway, so this is no extra work. Let them get wired---can I train them to mop my floor?

Closeup of Ants Eating Sugar
Getting Rid of Sugar Ants
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsAugust 5, 2009
closeup of espresso machine and orange coffee cup
Cleaning a Home Espresso Machine
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄
🍂