Finding Plants for a Water Garden

Category Pond Tips
pale pink waterlily blossoms
When establishing a water feature in your yard, you need to procure the appropriate plants. This guide is about finding plants for a water garden.

I'm interested in water gardening. I had a fish pond in Florida. I had many plants there, but here it is all new. Does anyone know where I can get free water plants?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Lenora from Howell, MI

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Freecycle.org is a site where you can give and get things for free. If you join it, you can post wanteds and ask for plants. Check it out.

Put an ad on local craigslist. There's bound to be someone in your area with overgrown plants.

Does anyone know of any plants which will grow in water other than water lilies. I made a small rock garden with a tiny pump for running water. I am wondering if there are any plants I can stick in among the rocks which don't need to be planted in soil.

By needtoknow from Ontario, Canada

There are several plants you can grow in your water garden in addition to water lilies.

You can grow cold hardy plants such as water iris, or floating plants such as water Hyacinth, water lettuce or water chestnut. The above floating plants are tropical and hence will need extra protection for overwintering them.

See the following links for some ideas:

http://yourhome … f-aquatic-plants

Try philodendron or any of the vining plants like it. Just about anything that you can root in water will work to fill in the small spaces between the rocks. I've even had philodendrons in my big aquarium.