Evaporated Milk for Cereal

With the cost of milk so high, you can save a little by using evaporated milk for cereal and cooking and saving jug milk for drinking. Also once the can is opened you can keep the rest fresh and ready by pouring into an ice tray and freezing into cubes. One or two cubes tossed in a bowl in the fridge overnight will be melted and ready for your breakfast cereal by the morning.

By Trace from Wartburg

I love the idea of freezing the leftover milk. I am going to do that from now on....that will keep the can from going bad in the fridge....we also buy dry milk and it lasts a very long time....

I use evaporated milk for cooking. When I find it on sale, I stock up. I keep regular milk for drinking only. I've been doing this for many years. It's come in handy with everything being so high in the past year or so.

Evaporated milk is not cheaper than fresh. In fact, because it is processed, it is more expensive! How many bowls of cereal do you get out of a can of evaporated milk, vs. a gallon of fresh milk? If you add up how many cans of evaporated milk it will take to equal a gallon of fresh, you'll see you're not saving anything, but instead spending up to SIX TIMES what you spend on fresh milk. Yikes!

Evaporated milk is running about 79 cents a can now...how can that be cheaper than $2.58 a gallon?

Unless I am mistaken, I believe the poster is talking about saving money by using evaporated milk by reconstituting the evaporated milk. In which case, you are not spending six times more to use evap than you are to purchase a regular gallon of milk.

However, it still may not be a money saver. To reconstitute evap milk, you use equal parts evap and water. It takes 10.66 of the 12 ounce cans to make a gallon (128oz in a gallon, so 128oz divided by 12oz), which would mean 5.33 cans of the evap milk itself. Depending on how much you pay for milk, and how much you pay for evap milk, you may or may not be saving money.

I pay $1.98 for a gallon of milk. I pay 55c for a 12oz can of evap milk, which means I'd be paying $2.93 for a gallon (55c multiplied by the 5.33 cans it would take to make a gallon). However, in the places where gallons of milk are upwards of $4, comparing it to the cost of a can of evap milk you just might be saving money.

Dairy Products on White Background
Saving Money on Dairy
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyFebruary 6, 2009
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft