Recipes Using Canned Green Beans

I really need ideas for using up canned green beans.

Sandra from PA

I don't think they taste that great unless they are home-canned. I've used them in green bean casserole (the kind w/ cream of mushroom) or in soups and stews. I have used an immersion blender and ground them up in soups like split pea or potato--it makes it green and healthy-looking!

I don't really like the taste of hot canned green beans. I prefer them cold or room temp. To make a quick salad, I drain a can of GBs and toss with a small amount of bottled salad dressing (Italian or Balsamic is good). A little bit of thinly sliced onion is good in this, too.

there is a recipe for fried breen beans. we tried them, they were pretty good.

Cheesy Green Bean Casserole

1 can cream of mushroom soup

3/4 cup of shredded chedder cheese

1/2 bottle of hormel real bacon bits (red label)

3 cans green beans (drained)

1 can chedder french fried onions

In small sauce pan heat soup, cheese and bacon pieces on medium/low heat. Stir until cheese is melted. Drain the juice from green beans, and put them in an oven safe dish.

Pour soup mixture on top of green beans, and stir until evenly coated.

Top with chedder french fried onions, and bake at 300 degrees until onions are slightly browned.

I also use crushed ritz crackers with melted butter poured over them (maybe like 2-3 T butter to 1 sleeve crackers) for a topping instead of the Frenches onions!

BBQ Green Beans

2-3 cans green beans

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 chopped onion

1 cup ketchup

dash of salt

dash of pepper

1/2 lb. fried bacon crumbled

Mix all ingredients in crockpot except bacon bits. Cook for 4-5 hours on low. Right before serving add bacon pieces.

Use them in three or four bean salad.

When I want to use some canned green beans & have something special, I put in about 2 cans of green beans, a dash of pepper, about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of sliced bacon, really thin sliced, cross way of strip, 1/2 of a finely chopped onion, then ad about 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil & simmer for about 40min. When I don't have fresh onions, I use chopped, dried, which I keep in the cabinet. It is really a fast recipe, which tastes like you spent a long time on them & they are delicious.

As has already been posted, green bean casserole, but put chunks of turkey or cubed, pre-cooked chicken breast. Add some crushed croutons, particularly if you can find them 10 for $10, if you'd like to avoid the traditional fried onion topping. Just put the croutons in a plastic bag and smack it a few times with a frying pan so you have smaller morsels. Use another soup instead of cream of mushroom. Cream of chicken, cream of celery and cream of broccoli are very nice with it, and throw in some cut up broccoli to get even more green veggies past the palate of fussy eaters, some onion, chopped celery, and even carrots are also terrific.

This is a good and cheap one, though it takes a little time. Cook a hamhock or ham shanks for 1 hour on a low simmer in a Dutch oven pot (put it in enough water to cover it). Make sure the pot is covered.

This can get pretty salty. I often pour off the water at this point and add fresh again to cover.

Add peeled, quartered potatoes and make sure water covers them and the ham. Cook on a low simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Then, add as many canned, drained green beans as you like. Cook another 15 minutes to a half hour until the potatoes are very tender, remembering to keep the pot covered to keep the heat in.

This is also a very tasty way to use up fresh green beans. Just put them in with the potatoes for an hour.

We usually have this with some quick biscuits or rolls and melty butter. The bread is great for soaking up the juices. This dish also tastes better the second day--if you can stop yourself from eating all of it. Enjoy!

You can mix a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some pepper to a can of beans in a saucepan. Then just heat it up. You may have to mix the tomato paste with the juice from the can first in order to avoid lumps.

take two or three green beans, wrap a small slice of bacon around them and bake till the bacon is cooked. Makes a wonderful appetizer.

I also chop them up and add to a lettuce salad.

If you rinse the beans several times in cold water, they will taste better. Then cut up an onion, seasoned salt,

Mrs dash and bacon drippings. Cook for 1/2 hour or so to get all the seaoning cooked in. Add more salt if needed.

2-3 tbs butter

2 cans green beans

1/2 heavy cream

salt/pepper

Drain the green beans well. Melt butter in skillet. Add green beans and heat/brown for 10-15 minutes over medium heat. Add cream, cover for 5-7 munutes. Uncover and add salt/pepper to taste.

dice a pound of bacon

fry it real good drain

dice a whole head of garlic

put in with the bacon

add three cans drained gr.beans mix well fry until the mixture is all well combined.

enjoy!

one cup diced celery

one cup sliced mushrooms

small onion diced;saute all of the above.

add one can stewed tomatoes

two cans gr.beans

this is also very good

You can add them to any canned soup of your choice to make it taste and look more substantial. My favorites are tomato soup with green beans and cream of mushroom soup with green beans. The french style beans also go well with the packaged chicken Maruchan noodle soups.

I like to put cream of chicken soup in the slowcooker and 1 small carton of half and half and four cups of green beans and salt and pepper.

I mix it all up and when it is warm and ready to serve I pour those wonderful fried onions on top! I love this recipe!

Green Beans are by far my FAVORITE vegetable :)

My Grandma would bake cornbread in a skillet and to go along with it:

In a Pot

1 can of green beans (with liquid)

3 peeled and diced potatoes (I leave the skin on)

3 slices bacon (cut in 1 inch slices)

1/4 to 1/2 sliced onion

add enough water or chicken broth to cover the potatoes

salt and pepper to taste

I usually double or triple according to how many I'll be feeding for dinner and of course for leftovers the next day.

Green bean casserole topped with french fried onion bits even though some people feel it is only a Thanksgiving dish. I like it any time!

shirleyamh

I love the idea of the bacon wrapped 3 or so beans baked idea!

If you make "everything but the kitchen sink soup" add some to it!

Drain them, marinate in Italian salad dressing for at least 4 hours and serve them as your vegetable or as a topping for salad. No need to add any other dressing for the rest of the salad.

In a medium skilled I heat 1 Tbsp of butter and fry 1 can of drained green beans for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile In separate bowl I wisk 3 eggs with little bit of milk(1/4 cup) and little bit of salt. Then pour this mixture on little bit fried green beans, cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes and it's done. It taste delicious.

I my self hate canned green beans, but this actually taste good.

Green beans flavored with a small amount of bacon bits.
Recipes Using Green Beans
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesFebruary 5, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Growing Green Beans
Growing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Canned Beans
Using Canned Beans in a Crockpot
🎉
🎄