Keep Veggies Fresh Longer

I have found that you can keep all your vegetables fresh longer if you remove the cores and seeds from them as soon as possible after you purchase them.

Celery

When I buy a stalk of celery I bring it home and wash it and cut the bottom and tops off the stalks and place them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. They keep for a good long time before they start to wilt.

Lettuce

I also remove the cores from all types of lettuce and I like to go ahead and tear it into pieces so when I get ready to make a salad all I need to do is get out as much as I need for a bowl or 2 of salad. This is also much cheaper then purchasing the pre-bagged lettuce they have for sale in the stores. You should save the center leaves on the heads of lettuce to put on sandwiches. You can also put these in ziplock bags and they keep for quite some time this way.

Peppers and Cantalope

When I buy Bell Peppers I cut them in half and remove the seeds and soft membrane and then they go into a ziplock bag for future use. This works well for Cantolope and other melons if you remove the peeling and all the seeds and soft membrane you can either slice or cut into cubes and store in the refrigerator for future use in ziplock bags.

With the cost of fruits and vegatables now I try to do everything I can to cut corners and still have fresh fruit and vegatables on hand to eat.

I have found the best way to keep celery, is just wrap the whole stalk in foil. Remove the plastic first!

I don't know if this method makes lettuce last longer but try putting the head of lettuce in a shallow bowl of water with the stalk in the bowl. It will last twice as long as a head of lettuce without the water. It will also be crisp.

Fresh Vegetables
Keeping Vegetables Fresh
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesFebruary 25, 2009
Freezing Cauliflower
Storing Cauliflower
Steamed Mixed Vegetables
Making Steamed Mixed Veggies
Frozen Veggies
Thawing Frozen Veggies
Preserving Fresh Chives
Preserving Fresh Chives
🎉
🎄