Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Hydrogen Peroxide For Ear Wax

Closeup of woman's ear.

When using hydrogen peroxide for ear wax where does the hydrogen peroxide go? It doesn't run out. Where are all the clumps of ear wax?

By skag from Vancouver, WA

Editor's Note Be sure to discuss this with your doctor. Only use the commonly available 3% dilution as stronger dilutions can be irritating or even dangerous.

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Lilac [18]02/12/2011

This is not good. There are products in the pharmacy section that are formulated especially to desolve ear wax. DeBrox is one and there are others. There is no need to use peroxide.

By wendy [1]07/24/2009

I have never heard of using peroxide for ear wax removal, but my kids' doctor said to put a drop of cooking oil in the ear at night before you go to bed. Your body heats up the oil and makes the wax run right out. Just be sure to put a towel on your pillow! I have used this method on my kids and it really does work.

By (Guest Post)08/03/2008

Hydrogen peroxide does work. I work at an Urgent Care facility and that's what we use to irrigate patient's ear's. Well we use half water and half peroxide to irrigate the ears. It works. Sometimes it may take a while but once the wax starts loosening up, it slides right out.

By dan (Guest Post)05/19/2008

No. Doing that kills the good bacteria also, and that is bad. Mineral oil is better.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]05/09/2006

Hydrogen peroxide is also good for killing colds in the beginning. It really does work. I got an eyedropper and put hydrogen peroxide in each ear. Let it sit there a while, then drain out on a towel. It's helped me several times and with no ill effects. I also wouldn't recommend digging in your ears with anything. Just let the peroxide loosen and help and let the wax come out on it's own.
Susan from ThriftyFun

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cqdx08/23/2011

But it is good. And thrifty, too. :-) DeBrox is made from carbamide peroxide. Carbamide peroxide mixed with water (as in DeBrox) produces hydrogen peroxide. Here's a link to an article I found on Medline Plus (a service of the US government's National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health) about cleaning ears, all with readily available substances that many of us may already have in our homes:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000979.htm

By Cajun [55]07/31/2009

Get a new doctor! If the water/peroxide doesn't work after 3-4 attempts, then seek a 'Eye, Ear & Nose Clinic' in your area. The smallest object you can safely insert in the ear canal is your elbow (cotton fibers from Q-tips can be left in your ear [over time] to clog the canal)

By christine M. Thayer [2]07/24/2009

Peroxide, is, chemically speaking, water & hydrogen. The hydrogen dissipates, goes back into the atmosphere. Hydrogen is a gas. It's everywhere. The water evaporates. When I used it for mine & my husbands ears, his were really bad, I would have him lie down with the offending ear up. Then put a number of drops in the ear & let it run inside. The bubbling will go on for a long time, the worse the wax, the longer it bubbles.

When all the bubbling goes away, then I would haul him to the bathroom sink & put some warm water in the sink & use one of those syringes to flush the wax pieces out. It does a good job, then we would do the other ear. If this is done on a regular basis, then it keeps it under control. When his ears were seriously bad, we would do it 2x aday, till there were no more pieces coming out.

But here's something most don't know. Excessive ear wax is because of sinus issues. The irritation to the sinus membranes, causes the ear bones to move more & it creates more ear wax cause of the inflammation & what have you. Find out what's irritating your sinus, this will get rid of the excess. Also, it can be caused by a candida over-growth. There are other symptoms of candida, that seem unrelated to the sinus', but they are all related; rashes, allergies, coughs, athletics foot, fungus of the nails, arthritis, gout, dandruff, eczema, digestive problems, constipation, diarrhea, just to name a few. If it is this, you need to get it under control. It can cause things you can't get rid of or really effect your health a bad way. Been there, done that. Horror stories.

Candida has even been found it in the center of tumors, as the starting element. Candida is the bacteria that takes over when you die, it breaks down your body. Too much & you can ever so slowly die. This is no exaggeration. It is insidious.

By April [36]07/23/2009

Saturate a q-tip with the hydrogen peroxide and drop a few drops down into the ear. Lean head to side and hold it there while you do this. After a few seconds, tilt your head the other way and let the peroxide flow out of your ear onto a paper towel. You can then use a q-tip to remove any loose wax.

Another way is to use warm baby oil. Same process...a few drops in the ear for a few seconds, then let the ear drain onto a cloth. Fresh water can then be dropped into the ear and drained to remove anything loose.

The oil feels much better than the cold and fizzy peroxide and the warmth of the oil actually melts a good deal of the wax. .

By Becca25 [11]07/22/2009

It only goes so far down into the ear. Dont think it gets rid of the wax, instead it loosens it. Loosens it enough so you can just gently swab the ear and bring back better results.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hydrogen Peroxide For Ear Wax

A quick tip for keeping ear wax build-up from causing problems: I took my mother to the doctor who made her hearing aid because ear wax had built up on it so bad, that it didn't work.