GiftsChristmas

Giving Fat Quarters as a Gift

I want to buy a mix of fat quarters for a quilting friend for Christmas. I have no idea what I'm doing. How many fat quarters should I buy in the same pattern to make the gift useful? I don't want to buy just 2 in one pattern and 2 in another, etc., if that won't be useful. How much can I mix and match? Thanks.

By Sue from Houston, TX

That's a great idea for a gift. There's a lot of information on fat quarters at this site:

www.how-to-quilt.com/articles/1025-fat-quarters-faq.php

Hi, as a quilter, I can say that I would appreciate ANY fat quarter combination. You can usually find bundles of them in local quilt/fabric shops, that are bundled by fabric line or coordinating fabrics. So that can take the guesswork out of it. But you can also select your own, as you know. You could do a variety of black and white fabrics and then pick an accent color, or select blues and yellows for a French provincial look. The possibilites are endless. But there are many quilting patterns that work with fat quarters, and a quilter will find a use for all of them. So don't worry too much about picking multiple fat quarters of the same fabric. Your quilter friend will appreciate all of your choices. Happy Hunting!

I like to fold them into the smallest square, then put a ribbon around the stack, as if it were a boxed gift. You can also roll them and put them in a basket with thread, needles, and more for a nice basket.

Enjoy! This site is amazing!

Awesome, thanks for all your great feedback and tips! I appreciate it.