Paint to Coordinate Grey Comforter and Black Desk

I am re-doing our spare bedroom/office and I want to give it a fresh look. I have a dark grey comforter with white outlined flowers and a black desk.

I was thinking of painting the walls bright white and using long white sheers on the windows, but I didn't know if it would just look unpainted. Does anyone have any opinions on this or any other color options to coordinate with my items?

By Amy from Boston, MA

You could do all kinds of wall colors. Pick what you like in terms of your own wardrobe, see if you can find some coordinating accessories like a throw, couple of throw pillows and curtains. Don't be matching everything in regards to a print but be thoughtful of coordinating fabrics.

Stripes go well with florals. Solid colors can have a fabulous texture, etc. You've got a basic palette with black, gray and white so the possibilities are endless.

One thing that might help is to do a google image search with a simple term like "red and black bedroom" or "yellow and black bedroom", etc. You can find some very well done rooms that way that help inspire you.

Since the winter sales for home decor are on, you might be able to find some great clearance items. You don't have to decorate for the spring or summer season, just for your taste. :-) Good luck.

I think grey would be a good paint color. It seems to me if you are going to do white sheers that white walls may be a little too much white. Of course if thats what you want though you are the one who needs to like it. Or maybe use the white paint and just go with a different color for the curtains/sheers? Good luck with what ever you decide!

If you really want to go with white, you may want to explore all of the "almost whites" they have at paint stores/centers these days. They are whites with just a hint of added color. I'd suggest one with a hint of lavender -- its always nice with grey. I'd also encourage you to bring home lots of paint samples to get a better sense of what looks good in the room and with your furnishings. Good luck.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 30, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
End view of rolled comforter.
Make Your Own Comforter Cover