Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Chairs

I have plastic outdoor chairs that get quite dirty after setting out all the time, especially through the winter months. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, but nothing I have used cuts the dirt.

I would appreciate any help on how to remove this build in dirt.

By Bill C.

Use a power sprayer, if you have one. It works great with no chemicals or scrubbing. You can also use a Mr. Clean magic eraser with a little elbow grease. I know that both of these methods work great on white plastic patio chairs and furniture.

I cleaned mine the best I could then bought"Krylon" spray paint.

Now they look great as they're the color I wanted.

Use a Mr. Clean sponge and it works well, won't scratch and gets the worked in dirty out.

I agree with Keeper. Krylon (for plastic) spray paints are great. They come in a variety of colors and are an inexpensive way to give plastic chairs new life. I do suggest that you wash them first in a bleach bath to kill of any mold or mildew. I use a exfoliating loofah scrub for scrubbing so there is less chance of scratching the plastic and with the detachable shower head it makes rinsing a breeze. Good Luck. And if you do go the Krylon way, send pics!

I use a pressure washer on mine.

I just spray mine down with a watered down clorox mixture , let them sit a few minutes, then scrub them with a scrub pad and rinse off with water hose.

Wesley's Bleche White is the best! You can find it in the automotive department at Walmart-it is less than $3.00 per bottle and it takes the grime right off of those chairs. It is actually made for whitewall tires so you know it is going to work. I even used it to clean some old bricks that I got from a neighbor and they looked brand new afterwards. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and wipe it off with a sponge. Then rinse with water and let the sun dry the chairs.

My chair is light green. Would this bleach out the color?

June 10, 2011 Flag

I am trying to clean some plastic outdoor chairs. I have tried all kinds of cleaners to get the dirt off. They sit out in the weather all year long. I tried power washing and it takes off a small strip at a time. I would appreciate any help. Thanks for all of your earlier suggestions, but I am hoping for some additional thoughts.

By Bill C.

I spray my chairs with water. Then I put clorox in a spray bottle and spray them down good. I get a scrub pad and scrub them good and it gets all the winter crud off. Rinse again with the water hose, dry and you are good as new.

Try the Dollar Store brand of Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and a scrub brush. Does a great job on just about everything!

Bill, if your still trying to clean the same chairs as your May post and nothing has worked buy the "Krylon"paint. : )

If you can find it, Mean Green. I know Dollar General stores carry it.

It works great.

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 20, 2011
Dining Chair
Repairing Dining Chair Seats
Bean Bag Chair
Making a Bean Bag Chair
Dining room chair with a vinyl seat.
Recovering Vinyl Chairs
Dining Chairs
Reupholstering Dining Chairs
🎄