Styrofoam Egg Cartons for Ice Cubes

I saw the best tip on TV the other day; use your styrofoam egg cartons to make ice cubes. I usually buy eggs in the cardboard cartons, but occasionally I end up with the 18 pack styrofoam cartons (like now, I have 2 in my fridge). I'm making yogurt today and will strain it tonight. I'm thinking the egg cartons will be perfect to freeze the whey for later!

Not only that, they will make great ice packs to have on hand for picnics. I'll get more than using a regular ice cube tray and they also stack, taking up less room in the freezer. Now I won't feel so guilty over the styrofoam.

Source: TV show, can't remember which one

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

PLEASE, please, please! don't freeze things in the styrofoam egg cartons! Styrofoam is treated to withstand only so much. when we do things in and to the styrofoam that is not the intended/original use it can be a health hazard! Washing styrofoam breaks down the coating, allowing bacterias, etc. to settle into the styrofoam itself. same with soaking/settling a liquid in them, such as your suggestion to freeze your whey. The freezing idea is a great idea! I would strongly suggest using reusable ice cube trays. You can find them at your neighborhood Dollar Tree or other dollar store.

Would also be good for saving, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Super great idea, will make it a point of buying in styrofoam next time I get eggs, and think how well they will stake in the freezer!

I agree with strongtower. My suggestion for picnics is to fill a soda/juice bottle with water and freeze overnight. Then use it to keep stuff cold in the cooler and as it defrosts, you have water to drink.

I agree with strongtower and dvg!

Please read this PDF in full!

http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/FOODPACK.PDF

And styrofoam is HDPE #6 (polystyrene). It can leach a number of chemicals, including styrene, in to water or food which can cause nervous system disorders, nausea, weakness, liver problems and possibly cancer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(

Well, I thought this was a great idea to freeze water in the egg cartons to make ice cubes. They would be bigger and with the cover, you could stack them in the freezer, but with all the negative posts, I'm not sure whether to do it or not. What about the old aluminum ice cube trays we all have used and the plastic trays we use today? Are they safe to freeze water in for ice cubes?

I guess it depends where you go for info on styrofoam. I went on:answer.com and it said it's the same as drinking from styrofoam cups...minimal. However I would not use the same one for ice cubes repeatedly. I use mine w/left over egg shells to start seeds.

Just think of the contamination from chicken feces from poorly washed eggs, in those cartons.

If it's not healthy to eat food frozen in styrofoam or cardboard egg cartons, they make great earring containers!

Though its a great idea, in my part of the world we have to be xtra careful about avian flu. So all eggs are rewashed at home to prevent any contamination.

It sounded like an awesome idea. Especially with Easter coming, would look like 1/2 an egg floating, could color, etc. Always something we have to watch out for. It is a shame to not be able to reuse, recycle, these containers. I have used them as toss games for parties with small beanbags. No sew, just tie small pieces of cloth filled with rice or beans, gather with twist ties.

Do You make cheese out of the whey? If so what is the procedure?

Bonnie from Canada

You cannot decontaminate the styro egg carton for reuse for food. Trying to clean with soap, chemicals releases other issues, like which food containers you can reuse, but chemicals are released once they are put into hot water wash, dishwasher, microwave for reuse to heat.

The rules of cooking with eggs are to wash your hands immediately after breaking them into a dish to break the cycle of samonella. Remember how many got sick? Died? Carelessness for a few cents is not worth it.

Yes, I saw the 'ad' on TV, not done by someone very bright looking. They also used paper grocery bags to shove their left overs in for the fridge--heaven knows how many fingers that passed through before it hits the mouth.

Just cause it is cheap, does not make it good. My aging mother thinks leftovers can be kept for a couple weeks, if one does not get sick eating it, you can eat it again.

The reason new food laws are being written, the reason there are many rules for serving food to the public.

Somethings are meant for the garbage. Don't buy the styrofoam, demand the grocery get the fiber board, which has many recyclable uses in gardens. Here in MN, the grocery stores take back the egg containers and also plastic bags as part of their keeping the landfills healthy.

No wonder so many get sick from bacterial pathogens. I sure agree with all you posters in that egg cartons to make ice, isn't a good idea. Your cubes will be completely contaminated and toxic.

Seedlings in a egg carton.
Uses for Egg Cartons
Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceApril 22, 2010
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
Egg Carton Pumpkin
Crafts Using Egg Cartons
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
🎉
🎄