OdorsCleaning

Musty Smell Under the Sink

Category Odors

Underneath the sink area smells rancid and musty. What should I do? I cleaned the trash can with cleaner. Any ideas?

Missy from Massillon, Ohio

Might want to check for water leak. If you have a sprayer make sure to not spray water down the hole when you have the sprayer out (my plumber hubby got on me for the "leak under the sink" cuz' it really was just me!). You might have to pull up the boards or whatever is covering the bottom shelf of the cabinet, ours have a scrap of linoleum, which can get wet. Best thing, fan to dry it out, then a good sprinkling of baking soda, like a thick coat, let it sit, then vac. up. Some vinegar sprayed on after with fan again to help dry up. Then after, keep all things dry, use something under all of your things to keep it dry.

Good luck!

yes, I agree, sounds like a water leak of some kind under the sink. Check under the cabinet floor, and behind the wall. I'm battling one under the cabinet floor at this time. Sometimes you have to tear it all out to find it. If you don't see anything, push a little on the wall, if it is soft, you've got a water leak behind the wall, and it will have to be torn out and repaired.