Low GI Diet

Does anyone use the Low GI Diet? If so, can you give me some information on what to look for on packages of food, to see if it has a low GI. Thanks

Sandie from Madison

Hi Sandie:

There are some great web sites to help you

Best of Luck!

Hi Sandy, As you probably know GI refers to how quickly after you eat a food your insulin response happens. As a general rule the less refined a food is the lower the GI Also things like fat, fiber, acid in the dish slow the insulin response. I don;t think this information is on the package label. Also cooking affects the GI . Pasta cooked al dente has a lower GI than when it is cooked longer. Also check into something called the GLYcemic Load which is said to be more accurate than the Glycemic INDEX Good Luck Merlene

Hi, there are so many available if you google

low glycemic index foods

websites I found:

Again, each food is going to affect each person differently. I find all processed cereal (all not cooked by me on the stove) will rapidly affect me. Hot cereals that are the worst for me--cream of rice/wheat. Best--old fashioned oatmeal and also shredded mini wheat biscuits.

I find a number of things on the low index list that would drive me bananas right away.

See what affects you and take it one food at a time.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingSeptember 18, 2008
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes