Window Picture Frame

Upcycle an old wood window into a wonderful outdoor picture frame.

Approximate Time: 2 days

• screwdriver
  • saw or jigsaw
  • paint scraper
  • sand paper
  • paper towel
  • window cleaner
  • masking tape
  • paint
  • printer and ink
  • laminate pouches
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • tape
  • lag bolts
  • caulk (all weather)

1. Remove the hardware if any on your window.
  2. Next you'll need to remove some of the frame in the back. So the window will rest firmly against the wall with no gaps for water to get in.
  3. Sand where you just cut, to remove any splinters and rough edges.
  4. Sand the whole frame to remove loss paint.
  5. Tape the window glass.
  6. Paint your desired color.
  7. Put hardware back on if you want to.
  8. Either create your own, or print off the computer like I did, I had 6 window panes so I choose to do separate warning signs.
  9. Carefully place each picture in a laminate pouch and seal it closed. I had to cut the pouch to size of the window so carefully measure it. Our glass inserts were 10 x 10 inches.
  10. Tape the picture in place.
  11. Using a level and a pencil to mark a line across the top of the frame on the wall, measure down a few inches, I did 12 inches in each side for the holes.
  12. Drill 2 pilot holes, one on the left and on the right, then drill your frame.
  13. Screw in and it should hang straight.

Good luck and have fun.

By Lisa from Auburn Hills

Love it :D

thank you for the wonderful idea!

No problem. I love to stay busy.

Hi there. Love your Frame. I'd been wanting to do something with doors & windows for a while now,but needed to find one 1st. Well, I found a free Door (white), this weekend down the St. from my plot at the community garden on my way home! Free-the sign said-so I turned around & went & got it.I'll cut the door down near the bottom of the window that's on top & use it for my wall to put pictures in.Then use the rest to make a little side table for outside. Decoupage it & weather-proof it. The door also has the side moldings on it-I'm using those for the legs on the table, after cutting them down to size.Any leftover wood will probably go into my garden to be used for stakes.Thanks for sharing & happy crafting.

Painted Window Panes
Crafts Using Old Windows
Photos CraftsApril 15, 2011
Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Making a Mosaic Picture Frame
Making a Mosaic Picture Frame
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
two old ornate hardcover books
Making a Recycled Book Picture Frame