Doggie Biscuits That My Dog Won't Choke On

We taught our dog to jump for treats, I think one got caught in his throat. It was a piece of bone shaped doggie biscuit. We're not going to use that type again. But would like to continue with the jumping part. What do you suggest that we use for a treat that he won't choke on? He's a 45 pound dog.

Holly from Richardson, TX

How about little cheese cubes? Or animal crackers -- they have no fat and are very low in sugar. Do they still make those things called doggie kisses? My sister used to give them to her dog. They looked like Hershey's kisses but did they ever smell awful! The dog loved them, though.

I found this recipe online somewhere. In a blender mix 1 box corn bread mix with 1 pound chicken livers and a tsp garlic powder. Pour in pan and bake at about 350 degrees and cut in squares. My dachshund loves these things.

It isn't hard to make your own doggie biscuits, and there are plenty of recipes online. Most of them are edible for people too, and you avoid all the chemicals they have in the store-bought ones.

Jantoo, How long do you bake these? Having 6 Shih Tzus, think it would be more cost effective and natural for my 'group'. Thanks for the recipe.

My vet recommended unsalted green beans (canned) for doggie treats. My dog will eat anything and seems to love these.

You don't havee to change the type of treats, just break them up into smaller pices so you dont have the problem. If you really want to change brand because of your expierence then I recomend the bendy or squishy treats, they are easyer to chew and swallow than the harder treats. Also reward your pet after to decreace the chance of it happening again. ;)

My German short hair does things for her treats. I do ASL and found what the dog can do back as signing. For food it is 'please' with folded arms hugging herself repeatedly and 'pray' is folding one paw over the other, this is while standing on hind legs.

Anyway, her favorite is raw veggies or fruit. Carrots, watermelon, banana, apples, pears, etc. And if she gets near the gardens, she will sit and wait for you to treat her with peas and green beans. I have the dentabones I buy for small dogs and then also break them in half. Allie is a large dog but has no need to have whole one daily.

Allie gets the same sized dog food bites as when she was a pup, only in mature dog packaging. She doesn't like change of food or size. She will pick up her dish and dump it out, then pick up each piece and spit back into her bowl. Allie is 9 and so we are not going to break her habits that don't hurt people.

Our dog loves fresh sugar snap peas, or bits of carrots, broccoli (and as Nanpeg already mentioned, green beans).

Our vet recommended those saying that most packaged treats are really the equivalent of humans downing too many candy bars, putting the dog at risk for obesity and dental issues.

Be sure your dog is calm and still when you give him a treat. If he's excited and jumping around, he might choke on it. Just as a child might.

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 7, 2008
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Wild Grape Vines
Getting Rid Of Wild Grape Vines
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
dog going out dog door
Dog Is Peeing In Front of Doggie Door
🎉
🎄