Cleaning Artificial Plants

Due to health problems this year, my spring cleaning is also going to entail an attempt to remove quite a bit of dust and grease 'gunk' from some artificial plants which I have in my bedroom and above kitchen cabinets. (No, I don't want to get rid of them)

I was thinking of spraying on a diluted Dawn mixture, then taking them outside and hosing them off, but also wondered if anyone in the wonderful ThriftyFun community has a better or easier way to accomplish this yucky task? The arrangements are too large to do the garbage bag/salt idea. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me; hopefully next year they won't be as bad.

By Marilyn from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

I have both plastic and silk artificial flowers which I clean quite easily by swooshing them around in a bucket or basin of water and washing up liquid. I use fairy since dawn isn't available here. Then I leave them outside, if possible, to dry in the sun. Have had them for years and they still look great!

Best Answer

Thanks to all of you who posted in response to my inquiry. I'm guessing that the 409 will work for the kitchen plants (grease, yuck), and then 'swooshing' for the others!

Best Answer

Do not try to put permanent flower arrangements in a bag with salt and shake them to clean them. That process is for individual stems of flowers. It would beat the arrangement in to an unrecognizable mess. Polyester silk flowers can be cleaned with a mild detergent and water but again that is mostly used for individual flowers, not arrangements. Only assembly line manufactured arrangements like foliage designs will take the abuse, with out ruining the arrangement.

You can wipe down the arrangement flower by flower and then rinse it the same, carefully, to restore the original look of the design. Design Masters aerosol silk flower cleaner will do the trick if used regularly but try not to let the grease or grime build up.

I am a professional florist with over 45 years of experience, and this is the method we ask our clients to employ to keep their nice silk arrangements fresh and looking their best.

Could you please tell me the best and most economical way to clean my artificial plants?

Thank you,

Karen Morse

I continue to do what I read about on this site a long time ago and it does work. I have asthma so I too am very careful about things.

Buy some cheap furniture polish and spray your silks with it (I sprayed mine over the dust and all and they now look great).

I have large arrangements also and others are up above the kitchen cabinets but by spraying them with furniture polish and walking away, looking at them 8 to 10 hours later they looked fantastic!

I got this idea from Thrifty Fun awhile back, try it hun you will love it and will be telling others about your find just like I am. Good luck!

I am wondering if the spray used on crystal chandeliers might help. Not particularly thrifty, but if you are having difficulties cleansing a plant, it might be beneficial.

Been doing just what you suggested for the last 20 years or more. I just let them dry outside in a matter of an hour or so. They look just like new.

Artificial Flowers
Cleaning Artificial Plants
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 23, 2011
Cleaning Artificial Flowers
Cleaning Artificial Flowers
Artificial Christmas Tree and Decorations in a Box
Storing an Artificial Christmas Tree
Removing Smoke Odor from Artificial Plants
Making Artificial Snow
Making Artificial Snow
🎉
🎄