Homemade Wallpaper Remover

Is there an effective homemade wallpaper remover?

By Judy from Oelwein, IA

I just had to smile when I read this question! My 13 year old daughter and I just finished stripping the wallpaper in 5 rooms for a lady in town. We tried all the tricks posted: vinegar and water, a steamer, fabric softener and water, wallpaper remover, etc. We found a spray bottle filled with hot water worked the best of all. Strip off the first colored layer of paper, spray liberally with water and scrape with a paint scraper. Then spray again and scrape off the paste. You'll need to keep wiping your scraper on a wet cloth to keep the paste off. Put a drop cloth down to catch the sticky pieces then just roll it up and toss it. It's a messy job! Made me determine I'll never put wallpaper on any wall of any room of my house! :-) Good luck!

The best thing we found to use was fabric softener. Score the walls a little bit with a fork or something and then spray the fabric softener on, let it sit a minute or two and then scrape it off. It is terribly messy and I vow to never have wallpaper again.

I use a sponge mop and hot water. go over a section of wall several times and let it soak in for 20 minutes, then scrape.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperJuly 18, 2010
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Homemade Varnish Remover
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper