WallpaperHome Improvement

Homemade Wallpaper Remover

Is there an effective homemade wallpaper remover?

By Judy from Oelwein, IA

I just had to smile when I read this question! My 13 year old daughter and I just finished stripping the wallpaper in 5 rooms for a lady in town. We tried all the tricks posted: vinegar and water, a steamer, fabric softener and water, wallpaper remover, etc. We found a spray bottle filled with hot water worked the best of all. Strip off the first colored layer of paper, spray liberally with water and scrape with a paint scraper. Then spray again and scrape off the paste. You'll need to keep wiping your scraper on a wet cloth to keep the paste off. Put a drop cloth down to catch the sticky pieces then just roll it up and toss it. It's a messy job! Made me determine I'll never put wallpaper on any wall of any room of my house! :-) Good luck!

The best thing we found to use was fabric softener. Score the walls a little bit with a fork or something and then spray the fabric softener on, let it sit a minute or two and then scrape it off. It is terribly messy and I vow to never have wallpaper again.

I use a sponge mop and hot water. go over a section of wall several times and let it soak in for 20 minutes, then scrape.