Turn Bread Crusts into Seasoned Bread Crumbs

I have three males in the house, so sandwiches are a staple. I always ended up with several almost empty bags of bread with only the end crusts left in them. They will not use them for sandwiches. I got smart and decided to stop wasting them. Now I save them in a Ziploc baggie for about a week to get 6 pieces or so. I then toast them and then use my mini food processor to make them into bread crumbs which

I can flavor them any way I want. I mix the breadcrumbs with a little butter toast them in a pan, then remove from heat add a few sprinkles of Parmesan cheese and top broiled tomatoes, or cooked cauliflower. I can also season the breadcrumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano to coat boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the seasoned breadcrumbs and bake.

This is a great way to not waste, save money by not buying breadcrumbs, and be healthier because my fresh whole grain bread crumbs have more fiber than store bought, and no preservatives!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

Top Comment

I have always saved my crusts to make dressing/stuffing (whichever your family calls the stuff you eat with turkey!)...but your idea is even better!

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL

Top Comment

I do this too and use it for making meatloaf and meatballs which I bake in the oven.

I save the heels and not-so-fresh slices from the end of the loaf for bread pudding.

I put them in the freezer until I have enough for the pudding.

I used to trick my family by turning the crust brown side in and putting mayo or whatever on the crust side for their sandwiches.

Bread Heel
Uses for Bread Heels and Crusts
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 5, 2008
Pie Crusts for the Freezer
Making Pie Crusts for the Freezer
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
A sundae made with a brownie and ice cream.
Uses for Brownies (and Brownie Crumbs)
Homemade Bread Crumbs
Homemade Bread Crumbs