Caring for a Mini Christmas Tree

My brother gave me a mini Christmas tree (I have never successfully raised a plant) and I wondered if anyone could give me tips about it, such as watering and repotting since it's in a milk jug bottom right now.

Christi from Paducah, KY

The care of your mini Christmas tree depends on what type of tree it is. Most traditional evergreens grown and sold as potted Christmas trees have about a 50/50 chance of surviving, and that is if they are transplanted outdoors after only 7-10 days spent indoors. The exception to this is the Norfolk Pine, which is often kept indoors as a houseplant after the holidays. For more information on caring for a Norfolk, take a look at this post

If your mini Christmas tree is a traditional evergreen, plan on planting it outside as soon as temperatures warm up. In the meantime, try to keep the roots moist (not wet) to prevent them from drying out. Keep your tree in a bright, cool room out of the way of drafts. Before moving outside permanently, let it adjust to conditions outdoors by setting it outside for a few hours each day, gradually increasing the amount of time it spends outside. Make sure you plant it in well-drained soil. Evergreens don't generally like wet feet.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Here is some help from the thriftynews people themselves. ! <smile.> Hope this helps you.

You might want to find out what kind of a conifer it is. My husband and I got a mini Christmas tree ten years ago and it is now 9 feet tall and 15 feet wide ... a very strange looking, spreading pine tree, to say the least. It looks like a very large pine bush.

Living Christmas Tree
Caring for a Live Christmas Tree
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations TreeFebruary 17, 2006
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree