Easy Indian Food Recipes

Someone posted that Indian food had become popular in Great Britain because it is inexpensive and tastes good. The poster was surprised it hadn't caught on in the U.S. I have noticed there are more Indian restaurants in our area than five years ago. I love Amy's Indian frozen meals. I'd like to prepare Indian foods, but I haven't any easy recipes. The ones I've found online have too many ingredients to be frugal or practical for us. I did get a packet of seasonings, Chip Shop Curry at Publix. I put it in the Crock pot with chicken pieces and mushrooms. I cooked it for four hours and served it over rice and it was very good.
Does any one have any easy Indian recipes to share?

SusannL from Florida

No recipes, but there is a website that features Indian recipes. There are many styles of Indian cooking depending on the region.

If you have Trader Joes stores in your area, they carry Indian food items for about $1 each, ready to heat and eat.

Ditto on Trader Joe's. I think most of their Indian stuff is a bit more expensive than $1, but well worth it. Try their boxed (foil pouch inside) Palaak Paneer. It's got spinach and paneer (cheese), I throw it on some brown rice and nuke it for 2 minutes- incredible. Pretty spicy hot though, which I do not like, but no matter I'm totally addicted.

There is a fantastic recipe in The Passionate Vegetarian cookbook by Cresent Dragonwagon called Stuffed Eggplant Fillets Gujerati-Style (pp.406-407). It takes some time to make because there are some steps involved, but the result is well worth the effort. I have adapted the recipe to my own taste, and even my 70-something parents were so enamored of it that they bought the ingredients and made it at home !

Here are a couple easy ideas if you have access to an Indian food store or the ethnic food section of a large supermarket:

1. Buy a little can of Tandoori spices, a large container of plain yogurt and fresh, uncooked chicken. Follow the instructions on the can, marinating the chicken overnight in a yogurt and spice mixture. The next day, bake/broil as directed.

2. Buy a jar of Biryani sauce. Cook rice as you normally would. Cook spinach or another vegetable as you normally would. Drain the rice and vegetable(s), then combine with Biryani sauce to taste. (Start with about 3 tablespoons of the sauce and work up.) The Biryani sauce is also good on rice alone, vegetables alone, or meat.

Both recipes are very easy, but still seem exotic.

Good luck!

Easy delicious curry:

1 can curry paste, ~$4 at Albertsons/Safeway around here.

1 chicken breast, I use frozen

rice

a half onion

some garlic of some sort (even powdered will do)

bay leaves (optional)

olive oil

Defrost and cut up chicken into small pieces

Chop the onion and sautee in a little olive oil and set aside.

Saute chicken in olive oil (i use ~2 tbsp ish) with the garlic and bay leaves (if powdered garlic, add after cooking onions) until cooked.

Add onions and curry paste and heat through.

Pour over rice.

Try http://www.kantabai.com excellent Indian recipes and easy too.

Editor's Note: Put recipe in the search box at the top and some will come up.

Try making naan. I recently made some, and it doesn't require very many ingredients. It's leavened, so you need to buy yeast. But it's very delicious! Or you could try making a different kind of Indian bread, that doesn't require yeast. Also, you could try making paneer. All you need is milk and lemon juice (or some kind of acid). For an easy meal, you can make a stew in a crock pot!

All of these recipes and ideas sound delicious. Thank you for responding!

Indian food is very popular in the UK. If any Indian food recipe is requested I will be ever willing to submit them. Thanks.

Here's a Collection of Five Star 1000+ Indian Recipes Complied by Award winning Five start chefs of India.

http://easyindian-foodrecipes.blogspot.com/

Food and Recipes Recipes International IndianApril 4, 2008
onion roti bread
Indian Roti Bread
Child in Indian Costume
Making a Chief (Indian) Costume
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
korma paneer
Paneer (Indian Cheese) Recipes
🎉
🎄