Bulgogi (Korean Beef)

contest winner icon

Someone here was just requesting a recipe for a particular stir fried Korean beef recipe and spelled it out phonetically. Well, it awakened a lot of nice memories for me! I sifted through my old paper recipe notebooks and found the recipe that the mom of a guy I dated when I was in my early 20's used to make all the time. Both he and his mom were from Seoul, Korea, so this is as close to authentic as I suppose you can get, even though I am sure it was probably adjusted to available United States product ingredients :-)

Oh, don't forget to serve with rice tea and you can find Kimchi in a jar in the produce section of your market, but be forewarned that it is very hot and spicy!

• 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. dark sesame oil
  • 1 large bunch green onions including the white portions, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely grated, or 1 1/2 tsp. dried ground ginger
  • 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
  • 1 lb. tenderloin steak, cut into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • Rice
  • Kimchi

Stir together soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, about 3/4 of the green onions, garlic, ginger, and 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add steak, toss to coat, cover and marinate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat; add steak and saute, turning occasionally, until browned and just cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer to serving plate(s) and sprinkle with the remaining green onions and the remaining sesame seeds. Serve over rice with a side of Kimchi.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Deelie- I was hoping you'd post this recipe after I read that request the other day, it sounds really good. Thank you!

I couldn't remember what Kimchi was, so googled it. Then I remembered, Dr. Oz talked about it being a super-food just yesterday! He said it fermented for a month! In my google search, I found this recipe & wonder if I could make it without so much chil so that it wouldn't be so spicy that nobody in the family would eat it!

Deeli, thanks again! This looks like another great recipe that I need to try. Yum!

I went to a local sushi place for lunch today and I saw bulgogi on the menu. I had my heart set on sushi (and wasabi) so I didn't order it but I probably will next time.

I have had this dish before, it is delicious! The one had came with clear noodles.

Hi lyonjpride, Thank you so much for the compliment of hoping I would submit this recipe! I feel quite flattered! I've never made Kimchi myself (I always buy the store bought mild flavor) but just checked out your link here for the Kimchi recipe and looked up others (both mild and hot) and what I would suggest the first time you try making it is to use only 1 tbsp chili instead of the 1/4 cup recommended to make the chili paste and, of course, only 1 tbsp of water.

Jess, I am jealous! I've been wanting California Rolls and Cucumber Rolls and wasabi for a long time but have to drive too far to get them. I made California Rolls just one time. They turned out awesome but they took so much darn time and work that I decided it wasn't worth it. LOL! I understood why they are so expensive on that day. ;-)

Terri, I've never had Bulgogi over clear noodles but I am certainly going to try it the next time I make this dish!

Thanks for the comments!

Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalFebruary 24, 2011
Barbecue Beef
Barbecue Beef Recipes
beef pot roast
Freezing Cooked Beef
canning beef
Canning Beef
Canned Corned Beef
Recipes Using Canned Corned Beef