My Frugal Life: Thinking Twice

One of the difficult things about being frugal is when you see others doing what you would like to do. At the mall where I shop, there are a lot of cafes and eateries. Delicious smells in the air. My Frugal LifePeople sitting, talking and eating and I realize I am HUNGRY.

But wait! If I can contain myself for another 20 minutes to get home, I can make myself a grilled cheese sandwich with ingredients I already have. I have saved myself many dollars by doing that and not being lead into cafe temptation!

I don't buy magazines any more. I love to read, both books and magazines. but they are too expensive for me to indulge in that now, A friend gives me a bundle of magazines once a month when she has finished with them, then I give them to a next door neighbour, who works at a nursing home and she takes them in for the patients. This is better than throwing them in the recycling bin, as the pleasure of reading is passed on.

There are many other ways you can think twice or three times!

Sharing is good too. Recently I was given four avocados, which are expensive to buy here. The next day, I took two of them and gave them to a friend. Helping each other makes the world go around.

By Ellie from Melbourne, Australia

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I like your idea of passing books and magazines on. The cost of those can definitely add up! When I go into town now to buy something often I get it in my hands and think, do I really need this? More than not I put it back. It can get really annoying, but it does save money!

I was using swaptree.com. It's a great site to trade books, cds, games and dvds. ou only pay shipping, which is probably 2-4 dollars.

But, then I thought, I do have a library card. I can get almost anything I want to read for free. They also have tons of dvd's and magazines. Plus, I just love the atmosphere at the library.

Whenever I get "free trial" offers on books, I check the library first then add it to my want list on swaptree.com.

DH and I take our books to our local library. The employees there put them on a sale shelf for a nominal price. They use the money for break room supplies. Magazines and catalogs with colorful pictures can be given to a pre school or day care. They are wonderful for kids who are just learning to use scissors to practice cutting.