Suggestions for Traveling in Europe

I will be traveling in August to Germany, London, Scotland, Pisa, and Nice. Does anyone have any info about tours or any suggestions? Thanks.

By az2010 from Easthampton, MA

I've never had the means to travel abroad although I have a friend in England. I've heard travel agencies are a big help. You can look through here as there's a lot of ThriftyFun readers from other countries. Have a great trip and stay safe. Let us know how it was when you get back.

Originally from Springfield, MA

I have been making plans to travel to Europe for some time. One of the websites I frequent is I think you will also find information for more than just London.

I also recommend you check out for more information concerning your travels.

Also check out: ... ngs-to-do-around-england-477598.html ... tp/Free-Things-in-City-of-London.htm ... g-on-tickets-and-why-we-love-em.html

I have been told by several European friends that staying in B&Bs is quite the experience in all of Europe. I'm sure with a little internet snooping you could probably find a few that appeal to you.

I always stay in B&Bs, and often without reservations. Just ask locals where they are, and there will be streets with lots of B&B signs. Find out which currencies you will need, and think about getting some of each before you go. Changing money is expensive, and B&Bs don't always take credit cards.

Use your ATM at a bank, that is usually the cheapest way to get cash, but there will be charges. You'll have more fun if you have a bit of cash with you and don't have to do this first. Call banks in your area to find one that carries foreign currencies.

If you have time, open a Capitol One credit card. It is the only one that won't charge an extra fee to change the money, saving you about 2%. But cash advances are still too expensive, just use it as a credit card.

Let your bank and credit card companies know when and where you will be going.

Carefully check all of your credit card charges when you get back. Save the receipts for this.

I like tours in areas where I don't speak the language. Cosmos has some reasonable ones. DON'T buy any options. If you do you won't have any time on your own to explore, and that's one of the real joys of travel.

Make copies of your passport, etc. Take one with you and leave the other with friends or family. Notify your cell phone company. Pack light and take things that can be layered. Also, take things that can be worn more than once, i.e. jeans. You can always wash delicates by hand or use the laundry service. Remember you will be the one toting your luggage. I've been twice for 10 days each time. Believe me, you don't want to be toting heavy luggage. Many older European hotels have no or very small elevators. Carry a collapsible piece of luggage with you to bring home purchases. You'll love Italy. It would be great if you could see Paris, too.

Travel and Recreation TravelMay 14, 2010
Family eating food while on vacation.
Saving Money on Food When Traveling
Mother Getting on Plane with Young Children
Traveling with an Infant
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions