Will My Auto Insurance Cover This?

I ran over a piece of metal I couldn't avoid on the freeway. My car's front-end got damaged and now shakes. I only have "bare-bones" basic car insurance (liability and uninsured motorist); will the "uninsured motorist" part of the policy cover the damage? If so, will this raise my insurance costs?


I didn't know my little 1992 Dodge Colt was damaged on the scene and couldn't stop on the freeway at night in the rain to report it. I did call 911 five minutes later when I got home so they would know about the obstacle and remove it from the freeway. I have a perfect driving record with no tickets and or accidents, if this makes a difference.

By Cyinda from near Seattle-Tacoma

June 1, 20100 found this helpful

You'd have to contact your insurance company and ask.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 1, 20100 found this helpful

It depends on your individual policy. The only way to know for sure is to call your insurance agent and ask.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 2, 20100 found this helpful

With the coverage you list, this is a road hazard. If you had to be towed (providing you have that part of the insurance, usually $4 per 6 months) it only tows you, does not fix your problem. This cost is up to you.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 3, 20100 found this helpful

If it does not, you probbaly just need a wheel alinement.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 3, 20100 found this helpful

Uninsured motorist coverage takes effect when you are in an accident with an uninsured driver. It's not likely to help you in this instance. But it wouldn't hurt to call your insurance company and just confirm that. I hope Ann is right, and all you need is a wheel alignment. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
June 3, 20100 found this helpful

Hi Cyinda :-) I agree with calling your insurance agent because it 'might' be covered! I think this would fall in the same category as a rock hitting your windshield.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 3, 20100 found this helpful

Chiming in with everyone who's suggested you call your agent, but if your coverage is basic liability/uninsured motorist, think you're out of luck on this one. It sounds like that would have had to been covered by collision/comprehensive.

Since you reported it, there's also a slim chance that if it was unintentionally dropped on the road by someone like an honest contractor, they may have also reported it. Inventory loss to them may be covered if they have a report to back it up.

If that happened, you may be able to track down the report and file a claim on their insurance (if any).

It does sound like just an alignment, though, good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Consumer Advice Cars InsuranceMay 31, 2010
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Christmas Ideas!
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 7:54:31 AM on in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!