Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Make Your Own Laundry Soap With Dish Soap

I use Ajax, Dawn or Joy dish soap to wash my clothes. It's cheaper than Tide. Mix it 7 to 1 (Water to dish soap) in your empty laundry detergent bottle. I use the bottle cap to measure just like the Tide.

I also fill my Downey ball about half full of white vinegar and toss that in. It removes soap build up and softens too. For whites I use 1/2 cup of All Fabric Bleach from the Dollar Store. Really thrifty and it doesn't bother my husbands sensitive skin.

By K

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Susan [5]05/17/2009

After reading a lot of recipes for saving of laundry soap, I like this idea the best. No harsh chemicals to mess with, no soap shavings to burn my lungs, yet still a great way to save. My husband works in a factory and has greasy clothes, I think the dawn will work GREAT for us. I'm going to try this and the vinegar idea in the downy ball too. Thank you so much!

By scarlett mathis [7]02/23/2006

I was just wondering why even bother to mix it up when you could just take a bottle of dish soap to your laundry area with a tablespoon and just use one or two tablespoons for a load of clothes.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]05/20/2004

I think these are the ingredients:

7 cups water
1 cup of dish detergent (Ajax, Dawn or Joy)

Basically 1 cup dishwashing detergent (not for the automatic dishwasher) to 7 cups of water.

By lisa (Guest Post)05/20/2004

Hello,
Wondering what form of ajax you use ?? Is it a dry or liguid.. ?IS it one cup ajax too one cup d-soap and then 7 cups of water..
Sorry for being so dense here..
I have made my own l-soap for years.. and LOVE it !
Clothes are SO much cleaner and softer .. the vinegar is great too.. love that also :-)
Lisa

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.