Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>
decorated chandelier

I made this candle chandelier from an generic looking gold light fixture that I bought on craigslist for five dollars. I cut the electrical wiring out of the top and just left the chain. Then I painted the chandelier a dark brown with a can of Rustoleum spray paint.

I got sheet moss at the Hobby Lobby for $5 for a huge bag. I hot glued the moss into the "candle holders" (sockets) and on the top and some of the other curvy areas of the chandelier. My husband had some Velcro tabs, so I used those to attach the pink roses. I figured that with the Velcro, I could switch out the flowers seasonally, or when they start to look faded.

I had some old crystals in a drawer in the dining room, so I attached those to the bottom of the chandelier. Finally, I wrapped floral tape around the bottoms of 5 tapers so that they would fit into the light sockets.

I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I spent $15 to create a light fixture that looks like it cost much more!

By RebeccaVC from Appleton, WI

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Sue Hinely [20]08/17/2009

Very nice. Love it. My kind of crafts and what a great recycle idea.

By Lisa Cameron [1]06/12/2008

Aren't moms wonderful! It is beautiful and a wonderful idea too.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft: Garden Chandelier

***

Garden Chandelier
Garden Chandelier
*** Isn't this beautiful? My mom made this for me out of an old chandelier, fake flowers and candles. She removed the electric parts of the chandelier, then took the flowers that are in circles (usually they sit around candles) and cut one end and fit it around the center. Then she got 5 matching candles and put them into the old sockets. This looks beautiful lit up at night!

By Misty from Wooster, OH