Check Freecycle Before You Buy

I am always happy to hear about the many thrifty people on this site who are finding deals on used appliances and household needs, but I am dismayed that not everyone seems to be aware that there is an option for getting used appliances and other stuff for free by checking for a FreeCycle group in your area.

FreeCycle is a non-profit, web-based organization where people post things to give away or request things they need. You are not allowed to sell anything on the site, it really is just about reducing, re-using, and recycling. That is keeping stuff out of landfills and trying to keep the earth intact for our children. This is their link:

I strongly encourage you to see if there is a FreeCycle group in your area. If there isn't, consider starting one!

By Tahlula from Northfield, MN

Many of the members on ThriftyFun are aware of the FreeCycle groups. There are quite a few senior citizens who would have no way of being able to pick up and move those heavy appliances. Just try and lift a heavy washer and dryer.

I think it might depends on who is in charge of your local freecycle. In our group you have to wait a certain length of time after joining before asking for something and if you get too greedy and ask for a bunch of stuff you will be kindly reminded it is a give and take group. Some people are in the business of getting things on freecycle and craiglists and then selling it. Our group you can post "not for resale" as some people give away some really nice/ brand new stuff. I have been in two different groups living in two different areas of the country. Both have been a lot of fun. I normally leave the stuff on my porch labeled with names and have only had one person out of all the things I have given away take something that was clearly marked for someone else.

Unsubscribing from Freecycle. Using Freecycle. Vintage furniture and TV.
Using Freecycle
Better Living Green Living Recycling OtherAugust 3, 2009
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
Unsubscribing from Freecycle
🎉
🎄